Posted by Maggie Eliana & S. Marie Carlson on 10/24/2018 to
Image courtesy of Iulia Iun @123rf.com
With the delightfully frightful festivities of Halloween just around the corner, the only thing that should be scaring you is ghoulish tricks (and the amount of candy you end up eating…). But the chemicals in store-bought Halloween makeup can be pretty scary too. This year, why not try making your own? It’s a fun, simple activity for kids and kids-at-heart and is a great way to ensure that the only thing scary on your face is your skillfully painted skeleton!
To make full-face paint in any color…
* Mix 2tbsp bentonite clay/flour and cornstarch/arrowroot together in a small bowl.
* Add 2tsp honey (opt)
* Colorant options…
* Black 1/2 tsp Activated Charcoal powder
* Orange 1tsp turmeric powder
* Purple/ blue red cabbage water (enough to make the proper consistency - omit the final step of adding water)
* Green 1 tsp matcha powder
* Red/ pink beet juice (enough to make the proper consistency - omit the final step of adding water)
* Bright red ketchup
* slowly add approx. 1/2 tsp water to desired consistency
* can be used as a full face paint, or for painting details.
**EDITOR’s NOTE: Some colors may stain clothing and skin, but you may even experience that with store-bought, chemical-filled face paint. You may also want to test on a small patch of skin to be sure the Halloween-ster will not have a reaction to any of the combinations you plan to use.